I talked to Wendy Urbanic today about what the next step is to actually getting a property classified as a nuisance. She told me that just this morning she was in a meeting with the Mayor and they were talking about this very subject!
Right now the city does not have any guidelines for classifying a property as a nuisance, but the state of PA does. They are going to use the State's guide. Basically it involves building inspector to inspect and cite the property and in regards to criminal activities that would be done through the criminal court. Wendy also told me today she will be giving the Building Dept several properties with a lot of recent 311 complaints as a test to see just how this would work.
This is a start--- there are several of us making 311 reports consistently--- so the city is aware of the problems on Mellon Street. We have to continue to be persistent and patient.
Also I correspond with Wendy from time to time and this is part of an email I received from her last week:
Wendy Urbanic writes:
"We have contacted Building Inspection regarding the unkempt conditions
and we have asked the Police for additional patrols in the area. The
best thing you and your neighbors can do regarding the noise at night is
to call 9-1-1. Many people are intimidated to call regarding a
"non-emergency", but this is really the appropriate venue. Because
9-1-1 can dispatch the patrol cars, it is the most effective way to deal
with this when it is happening. It also provides a record of the
nuisance behavior. I know you have done this in the past and it can be
frustrated when you do not receive an immediate response. Please don't
give up.
I appreciate the updates. The city is getting some great programs in
place to help the neighborhoods, but everything takes time. Keep up the
great work that you have been doing and we will be happy to continue to
help in any way that we can. I personally have a great respect for your
persistence."
Best,
Wendy Urbanic
Coordinator, Mayor Luke Ravenstahl's Response Line
Friday, July 20, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment